Friday, May 16, 2014

American Hustle Movie Review

Let Me Have It Rating: 3/10

I have to start by saying that the seventies were alive and well in this film, almost to an extreme.  It's like someone checked out pictures on Google of what people looked during the disco decade and then picked one of each type of person.

The opening scene with Christian Bale spending what felt like hours fixing his fake hair set the stage for the drag that was this film.  There was no reason the run time on this had to be 140 minutes.  It's like the film editor was asleep at the switch and woke up everyone so often to say "guess that looks okay."

None of the characters were that endearing either.  The only one you felt a little bit interested in was Amy Adams portrayal of Sydney.  I was hoping her character would end up double crossing them all, but needless to say that didn't happen.

I know there were a lot of Oscar nominations for this film, including Jennifer Lawrence.  While I thought her character was interesting, I didn't think it was worth all of that flair.  Part way through the film I was still asking myself what is the point and the payoff at the end didn't seem to make it worth the time investment.

So would I recommend this film.  Nope.  Sorry folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment