Friday, May 16, 2014

The Wolf of Wall Street Movie Review

Let Me Have It Rating: 5/10

Let me state this right up front.  The only reason this gets a 5 is because it's based on a true story.  And if all that crazy stuff actually happened to one person, I'm amazed Jordan Belfort is still around to tell any tales.

Now I'll say up front, I'm usually not a huge Martin Scorsese fan and this is another movie that validates my belief.  180 minutes!  Seriously?  I watched it from the comfort of my couch, but couldn't imagine watching this at a theater.

So if I had to sum up this movie in one word it would be the f-word.  And I'm sparing the readers from the actual word because if you watch this film, you'll get to hear it probably about 10,000 times.

One comment I heard from a writer once.  If you have to use words to add exclamation, us them to pack a punch because when every character uses it ever other word, it loses all meaning.

So this guy is a crazy, narcissistic wall street type (yeah, like that's a stretch) who doesn't think anything bad's going to happen (isn't that what they all think) and then his world comes crashing down and he takes everyone with him (okay, that's pretty true to live circa 2008).

It just didn't seem to be much of a story.  Do drugs, cheat everyone, scam the system, and...  I usually like stories that are based on real life people but in this case, unless it's a cold, rainy day and you can't find anything else to do with your afternoon, I wouldn't recommend watching this.  Sorry Leo.

No comments:

Post a Comment